Thursday 25 February 2016

Renovation project - I'm feeling better so it's time to go back to work

Renovation project - I'm feeling better so it's time to go back to work

I wake up feeling better and decide I need to change my mindset, I can do nothing about the family worries here, other than be available on the phone when needed. I need to get something done and see a difference for my benefit, I know John has been doing lots, but I need to do something

As john is working on a hundred different jobs, I set about scraping the walls in the living room ready to decorate.

This is a dirty horrible job, but it is essential before painting, if you do not remove all the loose flaky paint it will come off whilst you are adding your fresh paint

The ceilings are so high, I have to climb to the top of the ladder, this means I have completed an eight hour step class by the time I have finished.

It is up and down the ladder all day and moving it bit by bit to get all of the walls completed. But once finished it looks so much better and cleaner.



The walls are not completely flat and John starts to talk about plastering them to make them look perfect, this is a conversation we have had so many times, I do not want perfect walls we do not live in a new build, I want the old walls, the house should not be perfectly flat, I really think it would take something away from it.


We leave the discussion as always, with lets wait and see how it goes.

By the evening, I am knackered, I don't think there is a bit of me that doesn't ache, but I do feel a lot better, I have done something and I can see the difference.

My sad mindset is diminishing and I can see the light again, as I said you will have bad days doing a project like this, but as long as you don't allow the bad days to take over, and focus on the good things, you will enjoy it (well for 95% of the time anyway)

8 comments:

  1. Jenny I wanted you to know that I am really inspired by your blog.
    I am enjoying reading previous posts and love your style of writing.
    I think you two are incredible with everything you have achieved and will achieve.
    My home/self improvement goals are smaller and more humble than yours but just reading about your work ethic and tireless determination, spurs me on greatly. Thank you.
    Pam in TX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, thank you so much and I am glad you are enjoying the blog. Good luck with your home improvements and goals, even if they are still smaller you will still achieve a great sense of achievement when you are finished, :)

      Delete
  2. I have been enjoying your posts and progress. You are doing an amazing job. Its something I hope to do one day so keep posting as I enjoy seeing the real side of renovations (as you say). I am interested in whether you have a time lone for this or whether its to be done as you get time to do it.
    Garth (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for reading, we are here permanently and all of our time is spent on the project, which is why getting a toilet and some heating is so important :)

      Delete
  3. You and John do such beautiful and thorough work. Might you post sometime about what type of paint you use? We always hear that French paint is inferior, but I wonder if it isn't thinner to allow the walls to breathe in the older houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kiwi, we had always considered French paint to be lower quality, but this time we have only used french paint, it has been external paint, which is much better quality and so far we have no complaints. The paint is thinner as it is made for covering lime walls (as far as we are aware) but as this house is not as old using external paint has been OK

      Delete
  4. Hi jenny, you are both doing such an amazing job and you're such an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hopefully when you are over and doing your renovation, you won't have the bad days, but if you do, at least you know they don't last for very long :)

      Delete