Renovation project - Goodbye toilet, my old friend!
Today is a momentous occasion, we are removing the toilet from the shed, this is quite an emotional day. The toilet is just a bog standard outside toilet but when we moved into the house and found it, it was one of the happiest days of my life. The house had no toilet so to find this behind a locked door in the shed was amazing. However now we have three beautiful working bathrooms it is no longer required and as the shed is no longer fully waterproof we need as much space as we can for the wood and tools.
As with many aspects of the house, no real thought seems to have been given as to where the outside toilet should have been placed and it takes up over half of the shed.
I decide to video the demolition and all is going well until I realise I have not actually pressed record! Bugger!!!!!!
The walls come down very easily as they are constructed of clinker block (this is a lightweight red brick) it is always worrying at how easily these walls come down.
The job does not take very long and John removes the old toilet and seals the drain. What does take a long time is bagging up all of the debris and taking it to the tip. But what a difference it makes to the shed, it is enormous now.
We think about what we are going to do with the shed, the roof is holding on by a whisker and the room inside is a good size. John is going to have a great workshop and will point the walls inside (at some point we will also build a side wall as at the moment we have a piece of tarpaulin covering the side to try to keep the weather out.
I have also been very busy, in addition to bagging the debris and driving to the tip, I have made a start on the floor at the top of the house, well actually I had made a start before we left for Christmas, but I have been carrying on with this job every spare moment.
I am scrubbing the wood floor with wire wool, the wood itself is in good condition it is just covered in forty years of dirt and grime, this is a long and tedious job and takes the best part of two weeks to do, it really is a labour of love (well not quite love because by the end I really hate this floor!).
Once it is finished I give it a quick once over with the sander, you can still see where we took the wall down and the floor was not varnished, so this has to blend in with the rest of the floor to prevent an obvious stripe, this is not easy but once I have given it a couple of coats of stain and a couple of coats of varnish it looks really good