Wednesday 24 May 2017

Renovation Project - Recycling in France

Renovation Project - Recycling in France
Throughout both renovation projects we have tried to recycle where we can, we have made tables from old walls, doors from old floorboards. Nothing has gone to waste.
But today I am rather proud of myself, I have really taken recycling (or maybe it’s more up cycling?) to a whole new measure.
Here in France something’s can be very expensive, they are totally random items such as coat hangers (yes I know strange item) chicken costing more than salmon and the biggest bug bear for me is wine glasses.
I have no idea why, especially as the wine is so cheap, but then maybe that is the reason.
I have always loved wine glasses and especially matching wine glasses, since moving to France, this is something I have given up on, I have lost count of how many sets of glasses we have had, but in a project they do not last long I know we are no longer in a project, but with a John they do not last long either
Tonight we have friends visiting for dinner; I am unwilling to serve wine from a mug so have no option but to get some new glasses.
At the intermarche I do not find any that I like, but then a brain wave hits me, the mustard here is sold in glasses. I go to the mustard shelf and see the matching glasses to 2 that we already have (yes this is not the first time we have drank from mustard pots!
Once emptied and cleaned they look very nice, our friends can’t believe it when I tell them we are drinking from mustard jars, all except John who is actually drinking from a nutella jar!

But have a look and at only 1.36 Euros each they are an absolute bargain with enough mustard to last the year
mustard pot wine glasses, jennyandjohninfrance,

mustard pot wine glasses, jennyandjohninfrance,

mustard pot wine glasses, jennyandjohninfrance,

8 comments:

  1. How odd that wine glasses are so expensive there, even odder that they sell mustard in a glass - great frugal save!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is one of those strange things, but the mustard glasses are very nice

      Delete
  2. I just love the shape of the little Nutella glasses - just the right size for my afternoon glass of milk. Our local Intermarche sells balloon style wine glasses by the dozen very cheaply. They are always on the bottom shelf almost on the floor as if they want you to buy the more expensive ones at eye level. Helen in France

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Helen, I have bought those before but the break very easily, the jars are so much sturdier

      Delete
  3. Like Anonymous, chez nous, we have a lot of Nutella glasses, and a few of the smaller mustard ones for fruit juice in the morning. Madame's favourite is a cornichon "pere noel" glass. Never know if we'll find some new variations in Bretagne ourselves, when we visit my sis in law in the beautiful Morbihan in a month. Of course will quaff a few Mor Braz ales, made with sea water! Bon weekend biloutes, from the wild north. An Irishman from the north, living in the 59 Nord, rapidly becoming Cht'Irlandais, chez les Ch'tis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love the bretagne bierres and always take a selection back for my dad. not seen the cornichon versions yet, will keep an eye out for them :)

      Delete