Tuesday 10 May 2016

Renovation project - Does saying goodbye ever get easy?

Renovation project - Does saying goodbye ever get easy?
I wake this morning to a quiet and empty house, my little granddaughter is not stood at the bedroom door asking for her breakfast and to jump on granddad to wake him up!
saying goodbye yesterday
My walks around the lake are not as exciting, definitely a little quicker, as we no longer have to get a collection of stones to throw in to the water and explore every square inch.
I don’t think I will ever get used to the quiet once family have left, and the heartbreak of waving my daughter and granddaughter off on the plane will never get any easier, even the tears have not diminished over the last few years, yes I know I will see them again soon but it is the little things that you miss, such as the breakfast (with the TV on!!!!!) and the watching the excitement of everyday things that become almost invisible at my age, but are seen for the first time by a toddler.
It is time to get back to work. But somehow today I just can’t do anything other than send a thousand messages to my daughter and look at all the photos of the past week.
So tonight it is a nice meal, a nice bottle of wine, an early night and the intention to get up again tomorrow with renewed vigour for our renovation.

Just a quick question to anybody who has moved to another country, does it ever get any easier waving goodbye to your family?

10 comments:

  1. No, it never gets easier. My parents used to keep the child-size table and chair, covered with crayons and drawings after their grandchild went back to France. For a month or two. Just to keep that feeling of having the little one around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the Peppa Pig balloon that we brought back from Spain laid on the bed, so that she can see it when we skype, plus keeps me happy

      Delete
  2. Hi,I'm already dreading it. I see my son and daughter and my parents every week. It's going to be agony xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the worst bit is saying goodbye, I think I have more quality time with my family, in the UK I worked long hours plus we skype a few times a week. Good luck with your move, it is ok apart from the actual goodbyes

      Delete
  3. I only have sons and grandchildren all grown up but it is always a wrench, you should encourage your daughter to move over here x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son and his family live in the UK....he grew up in the US, where we live. It is NEVER EASY to say good bye when we leave after a visit.....I cry every time.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Lynda, that is such a long way, I feel for you, and yes I still cry everytime

      Delete
  5. We moved back to the Uk after 7 years in South Africa. I'm glad not to have to say goodbye. Everybody manages the saying goodbye differently. We used to gradually get back into our routine and look forward to the next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is what I do, always have the next visit planned, it does seem to make it a little easier

      Delete