AirBnB is a platform for B&B's, Hotels, but also for those who have a room to rent in their home or a house to rent out. When I first heard about them they seemed like a really good option, the commission is very cheap and the sign up process is very easy, guests and owners review each other.
Sounds a bit too good to be true? Well that was the advice I was given.
There is a lot of bad press about AirBNB and a number of support groups that I joined have warned against joining this platform.
We have used them and to be honest we found them great, we did not get many bookings from them but the bookings we did get were really nice people. We would definitely use them again.
I will now detail the pros and cons of using AirBnB
- very easy to sign up too
- the commission per booking is only 2%!!!!!!!!!!!
- guests will send you an e-mail request and you have 24 hours
- once you accept a guest, AirBnB collect the cost of your
- AirBnb pay you after the fist night that the guest has stayed
- you can choose your payment method (paypal or bank transfer)
- all guests are reviewed by the accommodation provider
- you have the option to look at reviews of potential guests
before you accept the reservation
- all guests review the accommodation provider
- there is the option to send a private review to each other,
in addition to the public review
- phone numbers and e-mails of your guests are sent to you so
you can stay in touch
- you have to keep your calendar up to date (but if it is not
you can just refuse the guest with no problem or penalty)
- We didn't actually find any! But other people have mentioned
the one below
- not all accommodation providers are registered, but this is
no different to any other platform that advertises accommodation
AirBnB is an online platform, I can not say what the complaints process is like, because we have never had cause to use it.
Please bare in mind the above is our personal experience during June – September 2014 in Brittany, France (it may be different for different countries) this is not a paid post by AirBnB, just a summary of our experience.